The Howling Wind

 We reached a campina. In the distance we could see an old house seeming abandoned. The tall grass was everywhere. For a moment we had to decide whether we’d turn around or go to the house.  

The girl who was leading us turned around and opened her mouth. But before any word could come out of it, I heard a low howling. It sent chills down my spine and I froze. We stood still for a moment as the howling grew louder. The girl turned around, and we all started running towards the house.  

 

The girl I was holding was now awaken and had her arms wrapped firmly around my neck. My body was hurting and I couldn’t run as fast as I wanted, but I kept pushing.  

 

Desperation started to take over people as they continue running, some of them falling to the ground and not getting up again. There was no one to help them. We had to reach the house. 

 

I noticed with the corner of my eye how the clouds above us started turning grey, and as if they were also leading to that house.  

 

It took us a few minutes to make it to the front porch and force out way inside, but it felt like longer and everybody hurried to the darkness inside. We went upstairs and I let the little girl follow the others as I helped find a way to block the entrance and the windows.  

 

The first floor wasn’t very big, just the living room and a simple kitchen with broken furniture and dust covering everything, now raising and hovering in the air as the last creaking of the stairs were heard. Everybody was upstairs except she and I. 

 

The big door was barricaded, we sat on the floor against it, holding each other’s hands. My arms were spared and I was shaking a little. The feeling of being protected lasted the time I took to close my eyes and give a deep breathe. When I opened it again, we heard a voice coming from outside. 

 

“Please let me in! Let me in!” It was the voice of a boy who’d been with us but feel behind. He ran and started knocking st the door desperately, screaming. Then we heard the howling. Then there was scratching on the door. Then crying. And then there was silence, a silence filled with a last scream that never managed to leave the boy’s throat.  

 

I closed my eyes shut and bite my lips. There was nothing to be done. He was too late. I knew it, but it wasn’t enough just knowing. She squeezed my hand and I looked at her. She had that comforting look in her eyes, and I knew she was thinking the same. I managed a weak smile and we got up to join the others upstairs 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Fall Apart

Sulfur of Fireworks - Short Story