Mischa - Short Story

I stare at the tube in silence. I've been looking at it for a few minutes now and it has been the same thing – red fluids floating in the black tube, but not leaking out of it.
I wished I could get closer to take a look, but the heat emanating from it is too strong. I can only observe from a distance.

I have the theory that the light in there is somehow linked to the white cable on the floor and goes up to a hole in the wall. I don't know where it goes after the wall; maybe to a gigantic generator or another instrument that might give the things inside the tube life.

But well, since I'm pretty sure nothing will happen, I leave the big room that is used for storing all sorts of interesting and weird things. There's something hanging from one of the white walls. I don't know what it is. I used to look at it, but it does not move. I think it is made of silver, but I can't be sure. It is actually a good thing that it does not move because, whenever I look at it, I have the feeling its looking back at me.

The other room, also white, is not as interesting, although there is a second room, much smaller, on the inside, that is usually closed. I've peeked into that chamber once, and to my fast and trained eyes it looked like a wonderful place to be. It's such a shame I have no authorization to go to that little room more often - I feel I'd spend a very good time there.

I descend and hear the sound that is now so familiar to me. Black little creatures like to hang out around my place, and they can be very loud sometimes. The sound coming from their throats can be very annoying, especially after a busy and complicated day, when all you want is a shut eye. I hardly see them, though. I don't think they like being observed by me, or anyone for that matter. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I stare at things that are interesting to me. And some creatures don't feel comfortable when they're being watched. I wished one of them would come and allow me to make a deep study of it. They seem to be fascinating creatures, and I'd love to give a closer look at them.

Yes, I'm very inquisitive, and learning new things is what drives me and makes me look forward to waking up the next day.

Some people think I'm weird and too quiet and lonely. I know so because I've heard them saying that on my back. But I don't mind. Maybe that's exactly what I am. But it's not my fault humans are so loud and restless. I can't focus with noises and people watching me. I don't like it. I'd rather be left alone.

I look outside the place I live through the window. It seems to be what some call "a nice day". It is sunny and warm, and a bit windy. But I can sense rain in the air. I reckon it will rain in the evening, and I'm usually right. Yes, I have a strong sense when it comes to weather. I can foretell when it will rain, when it will be cold and when it will be warm. Many people don't believe it because I don't go out very often, so they wonder how could I know anything about the weather being stuck in a big blunt place all day long.

Well, I don't have to go out to know what the weather will be like. I can see and feel everything through the window of my room. It is true that I don't go out very often - actually, I never go out. Does that make me a non-sympathizer of humans, animals and other things? Maybe. Although I think my acute curiosity and sharp mind somehow compensate my lack of interest for things that are considered so important to everyone else.

I've had quiet days. They're perfect for working. But it all seems to be over now. I hear noises everywhere. Roaring and distressing. After all this time, I should be more than used to them, but I am not. I will never get used to things that bother me and put up with them just because I'm supposed to. If there's anything that displeases me or gets in my way, I shall do something to stop the annoyance. That's what I've been doing. That's what has been working.

I know that it is still morning and that the sun outside should be an incentive to get up, start working and finishing all the important things I've started, but I don't really want to do so. Not right now, at least.

Would be a good idea to rest a little before. After all, I've been up worrying and thinking all night long, and that's tiresome. Yes, I'd better take some rest. Later, I will continue working, doing things and making discoveries. That requires a tremendously great amount of energy, which I don't have at the moment.

I go up to my favorite spot. It is warm, cozy and deep. I can be here for as long as I need without being disturbed. I am very glad I've found this place among the chaos and disorder that sometimes take over all the white rooms. That is heaven for someone like me.

I am going to close my eyes and not think about anything for a couple of hours. I will rest and gather energy to prepare myself for tonight. Yes, tonight will be promising. But I must not allow excitement to get over me.

When the sun goes down and the night chill starts to gently kiss my face, that's when the adventure begins. That's when I feel my nature side coming and guiding me through the last hours of the day. And I can be who I really am and do anything I want. That's when I can be what I was born to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Fall Apart

Sulfur of Fireworks - Short Story