Sirens & Serpents - Part 1

I opened my eyes slowly. I tried to breathe and it felt like my lungs were going to collapse. Pain was all over my body and it was impossible to move.

I could see I was laying in a room. It was cold, a faint light would come through an opening in the only visible window. I was right in the middle of the little room. On my right side there was a table and a wooden chair. On the far end of the room, to my left, a door.

I was having difficulty remembering the last events. I didn’t know how I got there. In my head, everything was messy and there was a fog of doubt covering everything. I closed my eyes and tried to focus.


I tried to remember. 


I was running through the building on fire. Luna was by my side, making noises that indicated we were didn’t have much time. Everything around us was falling apart, the fire licking and taking over the whole place. Black smoke was covering my view and invading my nostrils, making it hard to breathe.

A gigantic wooden door feel heavily, sending pieces of wood and flames everywhere, just a few meters from where I was seconds ago. The sound of cracking was erupting in my ears and I couldn't hear Luna anymore. Flames were bursting out of the gigantic windows. A glass pane blew up on my side, shards all over me, some of them red with blood. I was exhausted.

Ahead of us, I saw the last set of stairs we had to cross to get to the exit door. Seeing that renewed me and gave me strength to keep running and not daring to look back. It was when we were on the last steps that I heard the detonation.

Time seemed to slow down, everything was light, and sound left my ears. I felt myself being lifted up in the air, and for a second all the thoughts and ideas and worries had left me. There was nothing, I was nothing.

And then, as to break the trance I had seemed to be caught on, I was violently threw on the floor, just a few meters from the exit. Luna was far from my sign. The sound of the detonation was still beating like an iron drummer on my ears, and I felt something hot coming down my forehead. I tried to clean it, but my arms wouldn't answer my commands. Immobilized, I could only feel the blood staining my eyes. Before I lost my consciousness, I saw his shoes.


****

I opened my eyes again. The memories came to me in bright flashes. I saw everything that had happened all over again, right in front of me. I started to shake. Beads of sweat dripped down my forehead. I clenched to try and make myself stop shaking so much, but I couldn't. Desperation started to grow inside of me and it was spreading fast. I had to get up, I had to leave that place. But the pain was too intense, burning like fire through my body.

I was about to make another attempt to get up when I heard the sound of the knob. It started to move. I paralyzed. The door opened and the cracks of the door brought back the images of a building being destroyed by fire. And then I heard his laughter.

The sound was familiar, but I couldn’t avoid the goose bumps and the fear every time I hear that. I could feel all the mocking in that laughter. I closed my eyes again and tried to control my breathing.

"I know you're awake. Open up your eyes, my little girl"

I did. He was standing in front of the door. The light was partially blocked with his body, giving him an air of evil.

"What... Luna..." I tried to gesticulate, but something was stopping the words of coming out from my mouth.

"Oh, you worried about that little pet of yours? It's here." He stepped away from the door and something was thrown at me. It was Luna.

My loyal companion. My best friend. The Weimaraner dog I had saved 5 years ago and had been by my side ever since, she was dead. Her corpse lying by my side on the cold floor. I couldn’t believe. I started to cry. The tears came hot and I felt myself starting to get red with anger and sorrow. There are no words to express all that I was feeling in that moment. I tried to get up, but my body was pierced on the floor. Had I been able to, I would have jumped at him and strangulated him with my bare hands. But I couldn’t. And he knew it. And he was laughing.

"It almost makes me feel bad. It was a beautiful animal. But at the end of the day, that's what it was – an animal. But don’t worry, my dear. I've got more interesting plans for you. No, I am not going to kill you, at least not purposely. You see, it was very hard to track you down, and when we did, you left me no other choice but set that place on fire. Had you been more cooperative, maybe your animal would still be alive and you would be tied to a chair."
He started to walk towards me. He touched the lifeless body of my precious Luna with his stick. Mumbling to himself.

"It was a very nice animal, indeed"

Then he approached me and crouched down, examining my face.

"You made it all very difficult for us. And now some parts of your body are damaged... we might have to wait a little more before starting with the procedures... but that is alright, I will keep an eye on you and you won't escape this time."

He started to caress my face with his cold, long fingers. He had a look on his face that I had never seen before. And it was scary.

"Yes", he continued, "you've cause us so much trouble, little girl. But now we got you, and you will be just perfect. None of the other girls had shown such fine characteristics as you have, and I'm positive..."

His finger was near my mouth, and in a quick movement I bite it. He screamed, surprised. He got on his feet and kicked my face, sending a wave of pain through it.

"You will never make it easy for me, will you little girl?" He was examining his index finger, walking away from where I was. When he looked at me again, his eyes were cold and dark. "I will make sure you pay for all you have done".

With these words, he closed the door, locking it behind him. I was left lying on the floor. I tried to not look at Luna, but I couldn't help it. After a few moments, I managed to move my left arm, and touched her cold body with the back of my hand.

" I am sorry... I am so sorry..." That was all I could whisper before the tears started to run through my face again. They were bitter, and they wouldn’t stop. The light coming from the window was decreasing, and I was cold. I felt my head heavy, and fell asleep while crying.

****

I woke up shaking. It was completely dark. The feeling of numbness had left my body, but I could still feel pain. Slowly, I tried to get up. I managed to sit down. When my eyes got used to the darkness, I could distinguish the form of my dog's body next to me. I took the body in my arms. It was cold and soft. I touched her face and kissed it tenderly.

She was dead. She was dead and it was my fault. I should've thought better about where to hide. I should've had a better plan. I should've ran faster. And now she was there, lying on my arms, gone. I wanted to be angry, I wanted to shout and swear revenge, I wanted to get up and kick the door and run after him and kill him...

But I had no strength. All I could do was stay there, weeping silently for my dog and companion. I held her tighter.

" I am sorry", I whispered in the silence "I am so, so sorry".


*****

"… Yes, the muscle relaxant was a very good idea and worked perfectly well. We are progressing quicker with her.."

The voice was low at first, but then it started to grow louder and louder, and woke me up from a deep sleep.

I opened my eyes and the bright light hit me hard. I had to close them again for a few minutes. It was odd to have light after a few days in complete darkness.

Being able to see normally again, I saw I was in a well-illuminated and large room. I was laying on a table, my wrists and heels tied to it. Despise that, I could move my head and neck freely. I was wearing a gown. I had no idea how long I'd been sleeping.

I started to examine the place and realized it was an operating room. On the right side of the table there was a machine with tubes. One of these tubes was connected to my right arm. By its side there was a steel table covered with instruments. On the left there was a silver cart. I spotted some medications, equipment and other supplies. There were two little glasses that caught my eyes. One had the label "Pavulon" on it. Another, bigger one, read "GABA". I had seen those once, but I couldn’t remember what they were. I heard an electronic monitor, with my heartbeats intensified and loud. Something was attached to my finger. Too tight.

I heard the voice again. Two men were on the far end of the room. One of them was talking. They wore long gowns, a cap covering their hairs and gloves on the hands. I knew they were preparing for surgery. MY surgery.

I knew that any effort to try and get out would be worthless. I was tied to the table and was unable to see the door or any window I could use as an escape route. There was nothing I could do but wait.

I heard a door opening. The sound of steps and a stick against the floor filled the room. I knew who was coming. The two men turned around and seemed happy to see who had arrived.

"Ah, sir! It is good that you are here. We are about to start the operation".

My heart started to pound hard. The change was noticed. The three men approached the table. And there he was. With the cold look and vicious smile. He was smiling at me again.

"Sir, we have tested a few new substances and they are working really well. The drugs were carefully chosen as you wished. She will be ready for you in no time... if she survives, of course"

I tried to stay calm and breathe normally. His smile broadened. I hated that smile. And that face. And that man. And for a moment I wished that whatever they were going to do with me didn’t succeed and I could just die. But I knew that wasn't going to happen. I would not be so lucky.

He was about to touch my face again, but changed his mind and laid his hand on my arm, right where the nail that connected the tube was inserted. And he pressed. I bite my lips to avoid screaming, and that seemed to give him pleasure. He let go of me and walked away. The doctors stayed by my side, waiting for his orders.

"Begin". He said, and closed the door behind him.

The two men wore masks and glasses, preventing me from seeing their faces. One of them took a syringe from the cart and filled it with one of the liquids in the glasses. I saw the nail piercing my skin and closed my eyes, unsure if I would wake up again.

After a few moments, I started to feel my whole body relaxing. My heartbeats and breathing were steady. I started to feel very sleepy. I opened my eyes once again to see one of the doctors with an ice pick on his hand. And then, it was all dark.



****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Fall Apart

Sulfur of Fireworks - Short Story